Persuasive Strategies and Tactics in Environmental Marketing Communications Campaigns in Three Rare Pride Wetland Conservation Campaign in China

TitlePersuasive Strategies and Tactics in Environmental Marketing Communications Campaigns in Three Rare Pride Wetland Conservation Campaign in China
Publication TypeConference Paper
Author(s)Yang, K. C. C., H. Chen, R. P. Wang, and B. Wei
Affiliation (1st Author)THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT EL PASO
Section or WGEnvironment, Science, and Risk Communication Working Group
DateFri 28 June
Slot CodeENVF3a
Slot Code (Keyword)ENVF3a
Time of Session14:00-15:30
RoomHelix Blue Room
Session TitleRisk Communication
Submission ID4631
Abstract

Rapid economic development in China over the past three decades has placed tremendous pressure on Chinese already fragile environment. A recent report by the World Bank (2007) found that health costs of air and water pollution in China were equal to about 4.3 percent of its GDP. When taken into consideration numerous non-health impacts of pollution (about 1.5 percent of its GDP), the total cost of air and water pollution in China amounts to 5.8 percent of its GDP. With heavily-polluted air and water, wildlife is likely to be among the first causalities. As a result, government officials and the general public have become increasingly aware of the importance of protecting the environment, while balancing the need for economic development in China. RARE is a U.S.-based social marketing non-profit organization that focuses on global environmental conservation efforts. RARE has used social marketing theories and practices to promote global bio-diversity programs that protect endangered species (like cranes, tigers, and monkeys). In China, RARE has trained over 120 local campaign managers that cover 2400 remote areas and influence over 6.8 million people in China. In this paper, we will report the persuasive strategies and tactics employed in non-profit environmental marketing communications campaigns by showcasing three Rare Pride campaigns in China. These three campaigns for wetlands preservation include Yangtze Alligator National Nature Reserve, Anhui, China (Wang); Dongting Lake Finless Porpoise Nature Reserve, Hunan (Bao); and Dongzhaigang National Nature Reserve, Hainan (Chen). In this project, we will employ a case study method to describe the planning, conceptualization, and implementation of three wetland conservation campaigns. We will provide thorough description of the persuasive strategies and tactics used in these campaigns. We will also discuss how Rare’s pedagogical approaches in SMART objective-setting, Theory of Change Model, KAP Model (Knowledge, Attitude and Practice), and Triangulation Data Collection Method help design effective campaigns.

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer